SOUTH LAKELAND DISTRICT COUNCIL
7 July 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE LOOMING FOR FAIRER SOUTH LAKELAND COMMUNITY FUND
Community groups who would like a cash boost for their poverty alleviation schemes are being urged to apply to a new grant scheme before the closing date.
South Lakeland District Council's Fairer South Lakeland Community Fund has £25,000 to support projects that help alleviate poverty.
Applications can be for both established projects and new initiatives, and applicants can work with other funders, community organisations and agencies to maximise the impacts.
Projects could include:
• Community schemes/projects (e.g. community energy, repair/reuse, community food initiatives, community car share schemes, warm hubs and networking schemes)
• Projects to support local people in moving toward financial stability and security;
• Schemes which target the alleviation of child poverty and promote inclusion in mainstream activities;
• Projects supporting vulnerable people back into work;
• Sustainable, cost-effective transport initiatives; for example community lift-share, cycling and walking projects;
• Initiatives promoting sound financial management.
The overarching criteria is that the long-term aim of the project must be to tackle poverty.
The maximum award to an individual project is £8,000, with scope for additional funding in exceptional cases, and the council will consider applications from town and parish councils, local charities, community interest companies, voluntary groups and other not-for-profit organisations in South Lakeland.
Applications close on 19 August 2022.
Councillor Suzie Pye, SLDC's portfolio holder for Health, Wellbeing and Poverty Alleviation, said: "Time is running out for groups to apply to our Fairer South Lakeland Community Fund. This is a great opportunity for South Lakeland's vast network of local groups and organisations who are best placed to match local need with initiatives to help the most vulnerable people.
"I urge any group or organisation with an established project or an idea for one which this fund could kick-start to apply."
Applications for the Fairer South Lakeland Community Fund can be made online at www.southlakeland.gov.uk/FairerSouthLakesFund, where more information on what the funding can be used for and how to apply can also be found.